If your teen is getting ready to get their license and hit the road, you not only want them in a safe vehicle but you don’t want to be paying through the roof each month to insure your car!
Most teens will say the cars they prefer to drive are stylish, small, powerful and fun to drive. Unfortunately, that is just the opposite of what’s best regarding promoting teen driver safety.
Obviously, a minivan is going to be cheaper to insure than a BMW, but luxury is not the only factor when it comes to the cost of insurance. One of the biggest reasons a vehicle can save you some green on your annual insurance premium is because of the many safety features the vehicle offers.
Here are the top 5 least expensive cars to insure based on annual insurance premiums.
- Honda Odyssey LX ($1,112)
- Jeep Renegade Sport ($1,138)
- Jeep Wrangler Black Bear ($1,148)
- Honda CR-V LX ($1,170)
- Jeep Compass ($1,183)
Other factors you should keep in mind when it comes to choosing an optimal car for your teen driver:
- Age: Look for something in the middle lifespan for your teen driver. You don’t want them driving a brand spanking new car, but you also don’t want them in an unreliable, unsafe junker.
- Power: While a four cylinder car may not give your teen the go-go they want, statistics show that teens are less likely to lose control of a vehicle with a smaller engine.
- Size: A 4 door midsize car can be the perfect choice for a teen. While a larger vehicle may be harder to operate and a smaller vehicle may not provide the best crash protection.