Did you know 1 in 5 crashes happen in a parking lot?
That means there’s a pretty good chance your car, or the car you borrowed from your parents will get bumped, scraped or dented on your trip in and/or out of the High School Parking Lot this year.
We’d like to help you beat those odds by giving you a few tips on to avoid the perils of High School Parking Lots.
- Arrive earlier than the rush. If you have ever seen a high school parking lot about 10-15 minutes before the start of a school day, you’ll understand the importance of beating the rush.
- If you arrive early- try to find a parking space that is not near the entrance or exits. A quieter location will keep your car protected from latecomers and escape artists.
- If you can back your car into the spot, this will make your exit easier as you’ll avoid backing up during the mass exodus at the end of the day.
- Drive slow and pay attention! There will be plenty of other drivers who are texting, talking, or craning their necks looking for friends or empty parking spaces. You need to watch out for them.
- Follow all the directional signs and avoid no parking zones. A parking ticket is still a ticket that goes on your record and can increase your insurance rates.
- And lastly, don’t tailgate. Keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you will give you room to move if they decide to suddenly stop or back up without notice.